Scientist II, Biochemistry
At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to empower the scientific community with more freedom and flexibility to accelerate our collective impact on humanity. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking an experienced Scientist II who will play a pivotal role in designing, optimizing and validating reagents for next-generation sequencing. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who is passionate about working cross-functionally in enzymology, biochemistry, and chemistry within NGS. We are looking for candidates with a solid background in molecular biology, biochemistry, photochemistry, or other related studies. Experience with experimental design, hands-on lab work, and data analysis is a must. This role will be a San Diego based role.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop assays and methods for in vitro and in vivo enzymatic manipulation of DNA for circularizing short DNA fragments.
- Independently design and execute experiments to characterize the reaction performance using capillary electrophoresis, mass spec, and custom microscopy tools.
- Develop assays suited for high throughput screening to select for conditions or components that improve end-assay performance.
- Develop quality control methods and documentation practices for transfer to manufacturing environment.
- Collaborate with other teams and cross-function departments to support enzymology needs prior to and through commercialization of technology.
- Present research summaries and develop research plans.
Education and Experience:
- Doctoral (Ph.D.) in biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or a related discipline.
- 2+ years industry related experience and/or training.
- Extensive experience with molecular biology techniques for the enzymatic manipulation of DNA and techniques to analytically quantify reactions.
- Experience developing reagents for commercial biotechnology products.
- Thorough understanding of enzyme kinetics and stability.
- Ability to independently drive scientific progress and deliver on corporate goals and timelines.
- Experience leading root-cause identification of enzyme performance and implement mitigations.
Desired experience in the following technical areas:
- Biophysical protein characterization of DNA interacting enzymes
- Next-generation sequencing
- Kinetics and enzymology
- Reagent development
- Experience handling large datasets
Leadership and management skills:
- Promotes frequent communication with peers and management. Relationships must be built on respect, integrity, cooperation, teamwork, and professionalism.
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs.
- San Diego, CA
Base Compensation Pay Range:
- $110,000 - $145,000
In addition to base compensation noted above, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.