Staff Systems Engineer
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We value Grit, Learning Agility, Customer obsession and Teamwork.
If this sounds like the place for you, we are seeking a Staff Systems Engineer to lead the implementation and qualification of complex instruments consisting of optics, fluidics, motion, and other functions. This is a key role within our system engineering group requiring an experienced technical expert who can collaborate closely with cross-functional teammates from hardware, software, wet chemistry, informatics, marketing, manufacturing, and service functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Work with marketing and other technical leads to translate marketing requirements to product and system requirements.
- Own system requirements and system level budget (time, power, thermal, vibration, etc.) through product development.
- Help subsystem owners to define sub system and module requirements based on product and system requirements.
- Lead hardware and software integration, test, and characterization of instrument system and subsystem performance.
- Design, conduct, and analyze experiments to evaluate technical feasibility and to troubleshoot instrument performance.
- Develop system models and performance budgets. Evaluate tradeoffs with key stakeholders to set priorities and achieve corporate goals.
- Lead root cause analysis at the interfaces of thermal, chemistry, optical, fluidic, and mechanical systems.
- Contribute to prototype instrument build and functional test and coordinate execution of EVT/DVT activities
- Contribute to the company’s product development roadmap by exploring new design concepts and technologies.
- Proficient with data analysis in MATLAB, Python or other programing languages required
- Capability to design and execute DOEs to identify significant factors efficiently
- Familiarity with requirements management, tradeoff analysis, traceability and verification testing
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explaining technical issues and ideas to peers and management
- Ability to work with cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams
Education and Experience
- Minimum BS degree in Engineering or Physics and 8+ years relevant work experience (or equivalent combination of education and industry experience)
- Experience with risk analysis, FMEA analysis, and reliability test design
- Prior hands-on experience with mini- or micro-fluidic systems and strong understanding of fluid mechanics preferred
- Experience with optical microscopy, microfluidic systems, and precision motion systems
- Prior experience with product development at the interface of instrumentation, consumables, and chemistry preferred
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.