Staff Scientist - Genomic Assay Research
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are seeking a highly motivated Staff Scientist to join the collaborative Assay Development team. The scientist will explore and test feasibility of innovative genomics assays to answer genetic questions. They will lead technical development efforts to commercialize new assays to support cutting-edge platforms and to identify specific genetic information, and will manage a small team of researchers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Keep current with the field of genomics, especially NGS methodologies and IP landscape
- Lead the NGS research studies and technology innovations
- Contribute to strategic genomic application roadmap
- Explore and test feasibility of novel methods to facilitate biological and genetic studies
- Bring concept projects to full feasibility and/or through the complete product development phases
- Accelerate assay development and overcome technical difficulties with creative ideas
- Provide technical leadership in a cross-functional environment at the interfaces of life sciences, chemistry, biochemistry, and engineering
- Generate high quality scientific data and reports
- File IP applications and invention disclosure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and able to generate scientific data and reports
- Highly collaborative and able to provide technical leadership in a cross-functional environment
- Self-motivated and strong problem-solving ability
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. with 5+ years’ industry experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, genomics, chemistry, or related field
- Demonstrated technical expertise and innovation via publications, IP filing, or product launch
- Extensive experience in nucleic acid process and manipulation, NGS library prep workflows, and sequencing platforms, etc
- Experienced user in bioinformatics and data analysis tools, e.g. Python, R, ImageJ, JMP, etc
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.