Staff Product Development Engineer
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare. We are looking for a Staff Product Development Engineer who is passionate about design and development of life science consumables. This role will focus on design and development, material selection, prototype testing and high-volume production of plastic parts and assemblies. You will make an impact by working cross-functionally to deliver cutting edge solutions to customers to empower the disruptive DNA sequencing and bioscience platforms.
- Responsible for the overall design & development of consumables; including concept generations, simulation, prototyping, detail design, DFx and manufacturing transfer
- Designs parts and assemblies taking into consideration top level requirements, system interfaces and functional dependencies
- Defines and executes test plans to comply with specifications and quality assurance
- Performs tolerance analysis, FEA, DFMA and FMEA
- Responsible for building prototypes and/or fixtures necessary for testing, verification, and validation of product consumables interfacing with fluidic subsystems
- Actively foster positive collaborations with interdisciplinary teammates and vendors.
- Ownership of consumable product requirements, specifications and V&V; including test procedures, execution, analysis and reports
- Plans and manages project tasks keeping track of progress and sharing updates
- Minimum BS degree with minimum of 10 years related work experience
- MS degree preferred
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in the design and development of plastic consumables in the life sciences and/or medical device industries
- At least 6 years’ experience working on plastic parts including plastic injection molding, roto-molding, vacuum molding, blow molding as well as familiarity with their packaging and shipping requirements
- Prior experience of product consumables in the Life Science & Biotech and/or medical industry such as sequencing, flow cytometry, fluidic system platforms, etc.
- Experience managing and working on consumer products from low to high volume manufacturing of plastic products, particular involving fluidics devices and/or containers over a range of thermal shipping conditions
Skills & Abilities
- Must have proficient knowledge and experience in design and manufacturing of complex injection molded parts.
- Plastic design and manufacturing knowledge of over-molding, blow molding, roto molding, vacuum forming or other processes is a plus
- Proficient knowledge in material selection for plastic parts based on manufacturability, part functionality and reliability
- Proficient in Solid Works, technical drawings, and GD&T
- Excellent project and communication skills enabling cross-functional collaborations
- Understanding of product life cycle: concept through end-of-life
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work on cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives. We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.