Staff Packaging Engineer
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare. We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to co-develop our processes with our products. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch an amazing product! The Packaging Development role is integrated with our technology, product development, and engineering teams with a focus on pulling the technology out of the lab and enabling it in Operations. This role will be working on developing the packaging and labeling for all of Element’s products. Our products incorporate cutting edge technology from synthetic organic, nucleotide, enzyme, and surface chemistry disciplines, which makes this role highly integrative. We are looking for technical and/or people leaders in this position.
- Work closely with product development and engineering teams to drive the design of product packaging solutions.
- Work closely with marketing and leadership to determine product packaging requirements, including branding and labeling.
- Lead a cross-functional project from product design through implementation of the manufacturing process.
- Define packaging and ship testing requirements and ensure execution in alignment with company milestones and deliverable dates.
- Organize and lead packaging design reviews to facilitate decision making.
- Work with external packaging suppliers and designers to ensure product packaging requirements are met.
- Work with internal development, engineering, and operational leads to determine milestones and objectives for all project efforts.
- Oversee timelines, milestones, objectives, and priorities associated with delivering packaging solutions.
- Identify and quantify risks and drive escalations and de-risking activities.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree with 5-10 years’ experience, OR Masters with 3-5, OR PhD with 1-3 years’ experience.
- Experience in both Development (new product introduction) and Operations settings, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced Biologics or Molecular Biology environment
- Experience designing packaging for consumables or disposables is required.
- Experience with cold chain packaging is required.
- Knowledge of packaging and shipping testing standards is required.
- Demonstrated ability to drive requirements, design processes, select equipment is required.
- Demonstrated experience with verification and validation of equipment and processes is required.
- Ability to lead cross-functional projects in a matrixed organization is required.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques is required.
- Knowledge of GMP/FDA regulations is desirable.
- Experience in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement is required.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technology and business purposes is required.
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives. We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.