Staff Optical Design Engineer
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
WHO WE ARE:
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We value Grit, Learning Agility, Customer obsession and Teamwork.
If this sounds like you, we are seeking a Staff Optical Design Engineer to specify, design, develop and test complex optical illumination and imaging systems. This is a key role within our instrument optics group requiring an experienced technical expert who can collaborate closely with optomechanical engineers, systems engineers and cross-functional teammates from wet chemistry, software, informatics and quality assurance functions.
- Work with Optical System Engineers and System Engineers to translate product requirements to optical system requirements, and then own optical system requirements during development.
- Translate optical system requirements to sub-system and component level design.
- Generate concepts and perform detailed optical modeling, optical layout, ray tracing and tolerance analysis.
- Propose and design testing methodologies to verify optical specifications on module and component level.
- Lead and participate in design reviews. - Prototype, develop and qualify complex optical components and modules.
- Work with the opto-mechanical engineers to design optical assemblies and establish tolerance budgets.
- Transfer optical systems and modules from engineering to production.
- Provide project management to internal and external optical development projects.
- Keep updated on, and effectively evaluate, the latest optical technologies to shape the company’s technology pipeline.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates on optics metrology, characterize and test instrumentation.
- Serve as an optics subject matter expert and train junior optical engineers.
WHO YOU ARE:
- MS degree in applicable optics, engineering or physics discipline and at least 8 years relevant industry work experience (or equivalent combination of education and industry experience).
- Deep knowledge of optics system design, integration, imaging, illumination and optical sensing.
- Significant experience with fluorescence imaging systems and optical elements such as lasers, lenses, filters, prisms, optical mounts, sensors and/or metrology systems.
- Expert with optical design software (eg: Zemax or Code V).
- Expertise in optical wavefront analysis and testing.
- Ability to work with cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams.
- Proficient with optimization and analysis tools (eg: in MATLAB, Python, C++ or Java) preferred.
- Intermediate ability in 3D solid modeling design software (eg: SolidWorks) preferred.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.