Staff Mechanical Design Engineer
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis and accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
If this sounds like the place for you, we are seeking a Staff Mechanical Design Engineer to work on the development of the next generation Element platform. This position will require excellent design, engineering and data gathering skills to quickly develop and iterate key technologies and product concepts. The Staff Engineer will collaborate extensively with cross-functional teammates, as well as external vendors. The successful candidate will have strong first principals and the desire to continuously learn in broad areas of science and engineering. They will be energized by a fast paced, interdisciplinary environment that quickly delivers impactful results.
- Explore market and user needs
- Conceptualize and design mechanical and electromechanical solutions.
- Rapid prototyping, integration and testing of parts and systems.
- Interdisciplinary troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Creating specialized test fixtures and assembly jigs.
- Contribute to overall system architecture and verification.
- Lead mechanical design reviews and technical presentations.
- Generate detailed part designs, drawings and work instructions.
- Work with supply chain and manufacturing on production transfer activities.
- BS degree in mechanical engineering with a minimum of 10 years of industry experience. MS degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
- Demonstrated track record with the design and architecture of mechanical (e.g. statics, mechanisms, motion, thermal) and electromechanical (e.g. motors, sensors, thermoelectric cooling) systems.
- Advanced expertise in Solidworks 3D CAD and EPDM.
- Computer based analytical tools like FEA and MATLAB
- Detailed part design, machine part design including high precision machining, sheet metal design, and injection molding design
- Exact constraint and kinematic design. ASME Y14.5 including GD&T
- Experience managing cross functional development partners.
- Experience throughout entire product design lifecycle from concept generation through manufacturing release and ramp is desired.
- Biotechnology experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to distill complex technical information into a clear message.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, interdisciplinary team environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities.
- Desire to learn, especially in technical areas of optics, chemistry, and biology.