Staff Embedded Software Engineer
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools
for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user
experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and
diagnosis in healthcare.
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to
genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an
industry and the possibilities are endless.
We’re seeking a Staff Embedded SW Engineer to lead the design and implementation of our
embedded software platform for a high-performance instrument control and data processing
system. This is an exciting role within our embedded systems group requiring a technical expert
able to develop and validate the embedded control and data processing scheme working closely
with cross-functional teammates. Strong embedded systems fundamentals, excellent critical
thinking skills and a methodical product development approach are essential attributes.
• Perform requirements gathering, tradeoff analysis and system specification writing
activities for embedded platform and applications.
• Design and implement embedded Linux application software with real-time
communication and processing functionalities according to requirements of system
• Design, implement and test bare-metal C firmware running on Cortex-M cores for
hardware communication and control.
• Evaluate, benchmark, and optimize high-speed data transportation schemes, as well as
improving operation reliability.
• Evaluate and integrate Linux Kernel, BSP, bootloader, hardware drivers for required
functionality and performance. Maintain and upgrade embedded OS kernel
configurations to fulfill system feature and performance requirements.
• Conduct system bring-up and functionality debugging activities. Lead SW/FW issue
debugging in system.
• Build up technology know-how and explore software platform feature enhancements in
area of real-time processing, multi-thread management, fast deployment, debugging and
• Communicate, collaborate with external vendor / development partner on certain feature
development or component integration.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or computer
• At least 8 years industry experience in embedded software or embedded system
• Strong Hands-on experience with embedded system prototype bring-up
• Hands-on experience on developing and debugging with usual communication protocols:
UART, I2C, SPI, CAN etc.
• Good knowledge on electronic hardware components including camera sensor and
• Experience in development on DMA-based data stream control.
• Hands-on experience in embedded Linux Application development and debugging.
Experience with Linux kernel driver development is a plus.
• Proficient in development of real-time application with C and C++; have practical
experience with corresponding debugging tools / methodology.
• Be curious, detail oriented, and analytical, with a proven ability to learn quickly.
• Motivated team member with good logical thinking and efficient communication skills.
Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving
technology and priorities.