Senior Systems Engineer (Reliability Focused)
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We value Grit, Learning Agility, Customer obsession and Teamwork.
If this sounds like the place for you, we are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer - Reliability Focused to lead our reliability and critical parameter management of complex scientific instruments integrating optics, fluidics, motion, thermal and electrical functions. This is a key role within our system engineering group requiring an experienced technical expert with previous experience in collaborating closely with cross-functional teammates from hardware, software, wet chemistry, informatics, marketing, manufacturing, and service. Strong engineering fundamentals, rigorous critical thinking skills and a methodical product development approach are essential attributes.
- Work with marketing and specialist technical leads to translate customer needs into product and system requirements.
- Own reliability requirements and system critical parameters through product development lifecycle.
- Lead critical parameter management and FMEA activities to deliver highly reliable and robust instrument systems and subsystems.
- Evaluate performance tradeoffs with key stakeholders to set priorities and achieve corporate goals.
- Oversee characterization (eg: modeling, simulation, testing, DOEs) of instrument reliability and robustness performance.
- Lead interdisciplinary root cause analysis involving electromechanical, thermal, optical and fluidic factors.
- Work with subsystem owners to identify and design test beds and execute reliability and lifetime test plans.
- Contribute to prototype instrument assembly, bring-up and functional test. Coordinate execution of engineering and design verification activities.
- Support sustaining efforts to ensure continuous improvement of reliability performance.
- Contribute to the company’s product development roadmap by exploring new design concepts and technologies.
- Minimum BS degree in Engineering or Physics and 5+ years relevant work experience (or equivalent combination of education and industry experience).
- Proven track record as a system engineer on development programs spanning from concept to commercialization.
- Expertise in design for reliability, HALT/HASS testing and critical parameter management.
- Proficient with data analysis in MATLAB, Python or other programing languages required.
- Experience with risk analysis, FMEA and reliability test design.
- Capability to design and execute DOEs to identify significant factors efficiently.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis of large data sets in R, JMP, or similar statistics tool preferred.
- Experience with optical, fluidic, thermal, electrical and/or motion systems preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, interdisciplinary environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explaining technical issues and ideas to peers and management.
- Prior experience with molecular diagnostics, genomic or similar instruments preferred.