Senior Engineering Program Manager
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
We are seeking an experienced technical program manager for the development and commercialization of advanced DNA sequencing instruments. This cross-functional leader will drive initiation, planning, execution, control and closure of key programs while evolving our product development process management tools and best practices. They will interact widely with internal functions and external stakeholders including Research and Development, Operations, Commercial and Finance to provide clear direction and achieve program goals. Successful candidates will have extensive previous experience in program management for complex scientific instruments. Good business acumen, strong influence skills and a collaborative leadership mindset are essential attributes.
- Plan and execute development programs spanning the product lifecycle from concept to commercialization.
- Ensure program charter and product requirements are clear, grounded in customer needs and aligned with strategic business objectives.
- Build and execute integrated project plans synthesizing work breakdown structure, timeline, resource loading, budget and risk management.
- Create and manage a comprehensive program schedule that includes deliverables, milestones, dependencies and contingency plans.
- Assemble and lead project teams while deploying effective project management practices.
- Lead programs through a dynamic phase gate process ensuring that decisions are informed by a balanced and transparent representation of the relevant program data.
- Provide ongoing assessment of progress toward meeting performance, quality, timeline and cost targets.
- Apply decision analysis tools to analyze changing circumstances, offering pragmatic recommendations for adapting to and overcoming challenges.
- Mentor program team staff and contribute to performance reviews.
- Establish technical project management best practices and drive implementation of those methodologies across the company to improve the product development process.
- Position is based in San Diego, CA (Remote work not possible for this role)
- BS in engineering or science discipline with 10+ years of relevant experience in complex scientific instrument product development (life sciences, biotechnology or medical device industries preferred).
- Proven track record as a technical program manager leading commercial product development in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to hold team members accountable for deliverables while maintaining strong, constructive interpersonal relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Track record of successfully collaborating with other program teams, external partners and executives.
- Strong motivational, analytical, delegation and problem-solving skills.
- Proactive decision maker who understands how to assess and mitigate risk.
- Ability to lead effectively in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary technical environment.
- Proficient with project management tools and software (eg: MS Project, LucidChart, JIRA).
- Experience in molecular diagnostics or genomic product development preferred.
- Experience with commercialization of clinical diagnostic or similar regulated products is beneficial.
- Experience in high-growth start-up companies is a plus.