Senior Engineer Metrology Process Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to co-develop our processes with our products. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch an amazing product! The Process Development team is integrated with our technology and product development teams, with a focus on pulling the technology out of the lab and enabling it in Operations.
This role will be working on developing and implementing a functional QC process to ensure that all material meets specifications. Our products incorporate cutting-edge technology from synthetic organic, nucleotide, enzyme, and surface chemistry disciplines, which makes this role highly integrative.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead projects in the metrology and product test area to support the transfer and commercialization of the product/process, including design and implementation.
- Participate in the process sustaining, definition and improvement, design, development, and quality test activities in the making of consumable products or support of processes/equipment used to sequence genomes
- Design, plan and execute experiments within the product test process that involves chemistry and biochemistry disciplines.
- Design, plan and execute product and process characterization experiments and stability studies.
- Lead the design of experiments; driving execution, data analysis, and presentation of outcomes, making recommendations based on data.
- Build documentation for user and system requirements, participate in product design and development, and support integration and testing activities.
- Work with development scientists and engineers to establish protocols and translate to standard operating procedures.
- Lead complex investigations, troubleshooting product performance issues.
- Experimental design and statistical data analysis and visualization (such as JMP or R) are required; additional capabilities with image analysis and scripting are a plus.
- Experience in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement is required.
- Experience with chemical process operations and related analytical techniques and metrology including spectrophotometry, HPLC, AFM, LCMS, etc.
- Experience working with biochemical methods such as DNA hybridization or enzymatic modifications of oligonucleotides.
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technology and business purposes is required.
- Ability to produce high-quality work with great attention to detail in a rapid and efficient manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Successful candidates will have an educational background in chemical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or engineering physics, or similar fields.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree with more than 5 years experience, OR Masters with 3-5, OR Ph.D. with 1-3 years experience.
- Experience in both Development (new product introduction) and Operations settings, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced environment.