Scientist - Sequencing Biochemistry Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are seeking a Scientist for our Sequencing Biochemistry R&D group. The successful candidate is an accomplished scientist with who has strong organizational and technical abilities and an expert communicator. Success in this position requires communicating across all levels in the organization and requires strong relationships that are built on a strong foundation of respect, integrity, cooperation, teamwork, and professionalism.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Develop robust, stable, high-performance reagents, quality control assays, and framework of supporting operations and manufacturing
- Deliver required reagent performance and stability through understanding of chemical and biochemical principals/fundamentals
- Develop advanced methods/techniques for testing and evaluation by themselves and through mentoring and collaboration
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments to characterize and improve biochemistry reagents for NGS workflows
- Perform sequencing-based experiments optimizing methods involving DNA hybridization, rehybridization, and enzymatic and chemical modification on surfaces
- Optimize reagent formulations to achieve performance, stability, and reliability
- Understanding of molecular biology, purification, and stability of proteins (this is not a molecular biology or protein synthesis position)
- Deconstruct and resolve complex biochemical and enzymatic interactions on surfaces
- Develop surrogate assays predictive of sequencing reagent performance
- Work cross-functionally with other scientists to probe system level interactions of reagents
- Background and skillset in organic and inorganic chemistry of nucleic acids
- DOE and statistical analysis using JMP
- Fluorescence microscopy
- Strong organizational skills, time and project management demonstrated in PhD/post-doc/industry
- Strong technical and scientific skills, follows literature closely
- Values and seeks collaboration
- Knows how to combine, and synthesize information for a new purpose
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Growth mindset and curiosity
Education and Experience
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or related discipline
- High impact publication and/or patents
- Experience in biochemistry of DNA, RNA, polymerases and other nucleic acid processing enzymes
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.