Scientist - R&D Chemistry
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
As a member of chemistry development team, you will play an integral role in transitioning new chemical designs into robust, manufacturable materials and assays. This role will rely heavily on your strong background in chemical biology, utilizing your ability to design and synthesize novel bioconjugate macromolecules and to develop assays and applications of their unique structures.
- Apply fundamental understanding of chemistry and biology to the design, synthesis, optimization and/or characterization of materials using existing or novel methodologies
- Develop novel assays or applications of complex bioconjugate molecules
- Design, develop and execute experimental plans independently as well as in small teams
- Interpret and integrate findings from multiple experiments and present recommendations to key stakeholders
- Work with external vendors and evaluate key raw materials to ensure consistent supply for development and manufacturing needs
- Work in cross-functional teams to solve complex problems or to develop new applications
- Maintain strong working knowledge of advances in the field by staying abreast of literature or by attending relevant conferences
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record in developing assays or applications of materials at the chemistry/biology interface
- Strong background in the design, synthesis, physical characterization and/or functional evaluation of bioconjugate macromolecules
- Advanced knowledge of structural biochemistry and biochemical assays; and solid understanding of chemical reaction mechanisms, reactivity and bioconjugation techniques
- Proficiency in analytical techniques used to characterize both macromolecules and small molecules, such as chromatography (IEX, SEC and affinity), DLS, GPC, mass spectrometry, NMR spectroscopy, fluorescence, and protein characterization techniques
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; strong organizational skills, ability to multitask and work independently; ability to find creative solutions to problems
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DoE) methodology is a plus
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical biology, polymer chemistry, materials chemistry, or equivalent field of study, with 0-3 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industries (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Extensive experience in assay development at the chemistry/biology interface
- Experience with polymer, nanomaterial, and/or peptide/protein synthesis and functionalization
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.