Scientist II - Assay Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join the collaborative Assay Development team. The scientist will explore and test feasibility of innovative genomics assays to answer genetic questions. They will lead technical development efforts to commercialize new assays to support cutting-edge platforms and to identify specific genetic information, and will manage a small team of researchers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Test feasibility of innovative genomics assays and lead technical development to support commercialization of cutting-edge platforms
- Design and optimize reagent formulations and workflow to improve stability, robustness, and performance
- Overcome technical difficulties with creative ideas
- Use expertise and systematic problem-solving methods to troubleshoot and solve complex development issues
- Independently analyze large complex datasets to drive informed decisions
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams
- Provide technical leadership in supporting customer solutions and the transfer of new processes and products to manufacturing
- Responsible for the management and professional development of a small team of research associates and scientists
- Write and present reports and project assessments to Senior Management
- Strong technical proficiency with background in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field
- Innovative in overcoming technical challenges
- Self-motivated and strong problem-solving ability
- Familiar with NGS data analysis
- Experienced user in data analysis tools, e.g. Python, R, ImageJ, JMP, etc.
- Bioinformatics knowledge and skills are preferred
- Capability of leading research team through the complete product development phases
- Familiarity and knowledge of tools such as DOE, dFMEA
- Highly collaborative and able to work well within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Responsible leadership skills in managing research teams
- Detail-oriented in training research assistants and scientists
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. with 4+ years’ industry experience, preferably in product development with emphasis on NGS library assays
- Demonstrated experience leading a technical team or project, or serving on a cross-functional development team
- Experience with launching new commercial products
- Extensive experience in nucleic acid process and manipulation, NGS assays, library prep workflows, and sequencing platforms, etc.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.