Patent Agent/Senior Patent Agent
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking a patent agent/senior patent agent to assist with invention disclosures, patent drafting, patent prosecution, FTO/landscape searching, and IP diligence primarily in the areas of electrical engineering, software, physics, fluidics and/or optics, with the opportunity to explore and gain exposure to multiple additional technical areas. The successful candidate will have a passion for innovation and the desire to be a part of a world-leading inventive group.
- Interface with technical teams to identify patentable inventions and take relevant disclosures
- Draft patent specifications and claim sets
- Perform preliminary searches and prepare landscapes for patentability and FTO
- Participate in prosecution with outside counsel, as necessary
- Maintain working relationships as liaison between inventors, other members of the Legal team, and outside counsel
- The position will involve drafting, prosecution, diligence, post-grant procedures, and will require the ability to work closely with technical teams to take invention disclosures as well as provide informed guidance in the development process.
- Excellent technical, interpersonal, and communication skills are required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree or bachelor’s and 5+ years’ work experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Optics, or a related field
- Admitted to practice before the USPTO
- 5+ years’ experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S.
- Experience with prosecution in other jurisdictions is highly desirable
- Preference for San Diego resident, but open to fully remote candidates with expectation of quarterly travel to connect with our San Diego-based research and development teams.