Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare. We are seeking a dynamic, service focused Laboratory Manager responsible for the daily management of lab operations and assists in the maintenance of general office needs as we grow. This position will work closely with the San Diego team to ensure alignment of processes and procedures across both sites. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, knowledgeable of laboratory procedures, safety regulations and end-to-end procurement process.
- Maintain a high level of lab and office organization with service in operations and administration.
- Manage and own the maintenance program for laboratory equipment, including scheduling repairs, scheduling preventative maintenance, and managing service contracts.
- Responsible for maintaining the calibrated state of all applicable equipment, including pipettes and balances.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain, Sr Operations Manager and end-users to source and procure laboratory and office equipment.
- Provide support to the general administrative activities including purchasing, shipping/receiving, and maintaining the office needs.
- Manage inventory of laboratory chemicals and consumables across multiple locations within the laboratory space.
- Place orders for laboratory chemicals and consumables, ensuring delivery, distribution, and storage.
- Establish relationships with vendors and service providers, request quotes and ensure accurate pricing.
- Perform or coordinate key tasks to maintain lab efficiency including freezer de-frosting, glassware washing and autoclaving, and buffer preparation.
- Responsible for lab safety programs, hazardous materials inventory, and waste handling.
- Provide lab and office orientation to new employees and be a resource to the team.
- Lead the movement of equipment within existing laboratories and to new laboratories as required
- Work cross-functionally with facilities, R&D, operations and accounting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field
- 3+ years work experience as lab assistant or in scientific research environment
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Understanding of scientific concepts and terms
- Knowledge of lab safety protocols (including OHSA) and safety best practices
- Must be able to follow instructions and maintain a safe work environment
- Ability to interact with multiple personalities and prioritize competing needs
- Proficient in Office 365
- Preferred experience working with an ERP system such as NetSuite or using an autoclave
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives. We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.