We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking a dynamic, service focused Laboratory Manager responsible for the daily management of lab operations across multiple sites and disciplines. This position will work closely with the Bay Area team to ensure alignment of processes and procedures. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, knowledgeable of laboratory procedures, safety regulations and end-to-end procurement process.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee day-to-day lab operations by identifying, addressing, recommending, and implementing improvements to ensure efficient lab infrastructure and support
- Responsible for lifecycle management of lab equipment including service contracts, repairs, calibrations and preventative maintenance
- Review equipment service contracts renewals and CAPEX/Non-CAPEX quotes to make recommendation or determine course of action
- Establish and maintain relationships with vendors, sales representatives and service provider
- Coordinate and plan lab space for new employees, incoming equipment, expanding infrastructures
- Manage VMI program and maintain inventory of lab supplies/chemicals/reagents across multiple locations
- Responsible for cold storage equipment monitoring and response
- Proactively coordinate key tasks to maintain lab efficiency including freezer de-frosting, glassware washing, autoclaving, and lab clean-ups
- Advocate and actively participate in lab safety programs, ensuring good laboratory upkeep and regulatory compliance
- Provide lab orientation to new employees and function as point of contact between administrative, scientific, and building management teams
- Develop and maintain laboratory standard operating procedures, establishing good work practices
- Coordinate, organize and cross-train Lab Operations support team members to ensure support services are completed
- Plan and execute lab relocations, working closely with teams to ensure an organized and efficient process
- Facilitate lab inspections for internal and external authorities
- Work and collaborate cross-functionally with facilities, IT, R&D, operations and finance teams
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field
- Five (5) years work experience in scientific lab operations preferably as a Lab Manager
- Must be highly organized, multi-tasking skills and detail oriented
- Familiarity of standard laboratory equipment
- Customer service oriented with demonstrated desire to support others.
- Strong understanding of scientific concepts and terminology.
- Knowledge of lab safety protocols (including OHSA) and safety best practices
- Must be able to follow instructions and maintain a safe work environment
- Ability to interact and communicate with multiple personalities and prioritize competing needs
- Proficient in Office 365 programs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field minimum, or equivalent field of study, with 5 years of relevant experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)