Vice President, Corporate Controller
At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to empower the scientific community with more freedom and flexibility to accelerate our collective impact on humanity. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking an experienced Vice President, Corporate Controller who will play a pivotal role in strengthening the company’s accounting and control environment. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who is passionate about the genomics market and strengthening the accounting practices established by a strong accounting team. We are looking for candidates with a mix of experience in Big 4 public accounting, technical accounting (M&A), IPO readiness and overseeing an accounting department in the Life Sciences or Tech industry. A CPA, or equivalent certification is a must for eligibility. This role will report to the Senior Vice President of Finance & Administration and will be located at our Headquarters in San Diego.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the month-end close process with an effort to eliminate redundancy and improve time-to-close efficiency.
- Review all month-end reconciliations as well as the balance sheet, income statement, cashflow and equity roll-forward, ensuring compliance with US GAAP.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of the monthly and quarterly financial reviews.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures, with an emphasis on IPO readiness.
- Serve as the key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, federal and international tax filings.
Risk Management and Compliance
- Identify and mitigate financial and operational risks, establishing effective risk management policies and procedures.
- Implement robust internal controls to safeguard company assets and maintain the integrity of financial data.
- Serve as the architectural owner for the Company’s ERP (NetSuite) system, working closely with the Director of Business Systems.
- Actively look to streamline and automate accounting functions using software.
Leadership and Team Management
- Serve on the company’s Leadership Team, providing necessary insight, strategy and direction to facilitate the operational effectiveness of the Company.
- Mentor and develop the team, managing work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors and/or Masters degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline; CPA designation and a minimum of 12 years of progressive experience in accounting and finance leadership roles.
- Experience guiding a company through the IPO process, including extensive knowledge of SEC regulations and reporting requirements.
- Strong technical accounting skills and a deep understanding of US GAAP.
- Exceptional leadership and team management capabilities, with a track record of building and developing high-performing teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively engage with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to contribute to overall business strategy and decision-making.
- Ability to move and/or lift up to 25 pounds.
- San Diego, CA
- Must be able to travel, both domestic and international, up to 10%.
- Full-time Exempt
Base Compensation Pay Range:
- $200,000 - $283,000
In addition to base compensation noted above, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.