Surface Chemistry Intern
At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to empower the scientific community with more freedom and flexibility to accelerate our collective impact on humanity. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking an eager and driven Surface Chemistry Intern to make an impactful contribution to our R&D Surface Chemistry team this summer! In this role, you will gain experience working in a cross-functional team to design, develop, and optimize new surfaces for various upcoming projects. The intern will participate in designing experiments, performing QC assays, and analyzing data with close mentorship from surface chemistry team. The candidate is expected to apply fundamental knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, and polymer chemistry, including some biology/cell-based knowledge to solve problems and design assays. The internship is a great opportunity to collaborate with experienced scientists across the company and to acquire industrial insights and skillsets in a cutting-edge biotech company.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Work in one or more of the following areas under the guidance of senior scientists:
- Development and characterization of different surfaces and QC assays
- Conduct fundamental studies to evaluate surface performance.
- Designing experiments, perform QC assays, and analyze data.
- Collaborate with different teams to meet project goals.
Education and Experience:
- PhD, MS, BS in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Polymer Chemistry or related fields.
- Working research experience from undergraduate research programs.
- Previous experience with handling mammalian cells is highly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of wet-lab techniques, chemistry, and laboratory safety protocols.
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct scientific experiments independently or with reasonable instructions.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- San Diego, CA
Base Compensation Pay Range: $25/hr. - $40/hr.
In addition to base compensation noted above, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.