Payroll Specialist (Temp to Hire)
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
This position will report to our Sr. Manager, Payroll Shared Services and is a temporary opportunity with full-time hours with the goal to go permanent.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform all aspects of payroll processing for non-exempt employees, including regular wages, retro payments, shift differentials, adjustments, bonuses, supplemental payments, LOA’s and terminations.
- Audit Exempt employee data while assuring that information is transmitted accurately in the system.
- Process expense reimbursements, and equity options.
- Generate Payroll audit reports bi-weekly and Ad-hoc reports as needed. Review and analyze pre and post submission audit reports to ensure accuracy throughout the payroll process.
- Train employees and managers on various payroll–related and learning development topics such as time entry process, time approval process, state wage law and learning component in Paylocity.
- Assist with Year-End processing, review, and auditing of annual W-2 forms.
- Audit timecard codes and punches in/out for non – exempt employees.
- Reconcile data according to federal / state law and regulations as required by company policies and procedures.
- Assist the People Team with payroll related questions or issues.
- Review, validate and process new Hires in Paylocity.
- Process deductions of Garnishments/Child support, IRS levies and court orders. Review accuracy of deductions at-source.
- Import and update Flex Time Off, Sick Accruals and standard Company Holidays, as needed.
- Prepare and analyze various bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly and annual reports to include overtime, meal premium violation, headcount, EDD and 401K Empower.
- Assist managers, supervisors, and employees with setting up direct deposit and entering tax withholdings.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant experience (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered).
- Experience with multistate payroll required.
- CPP/ FPC certification preferred.
- Experience with various payroll systems, Paylocity preferred.
- Experience collaborating with Human Resources Department on payroll-related matters such as new hires, terminations, merit increases, benefits and change of status.
- Experience collating and processing data for termination/final and off-cycle checks.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
- San Diego, CA
Base Compensation Pay Range: $65,000 - $76,000
In addition to base compensation, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please Note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.