Product Engineering Intern
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics with unprecedented flexibility and quality that enable researchers to better understand biology for the improvement of global health. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are looking for individuals who are curious, love to learn and want to make an impact on some cutting edge projects for our Summer 2023 Internships. Our program has multiple elements (no pun intended) to ensure that you have a well-rounded summer from fun activities such as the Intern vs. Supervisors Olympics to soft-skills classes to help identify your strengths and work on areas of development, to an Executive Series where you get to meet our Leadership team and ask them questions about their careers, about the product or anything else which interests you. And, finally, you get to work on a project which will actually be rolled into the product roadmap.
As a Product Engineering Intern on the Product Engineering team, you will gain valuable hands-on experience working with AVITI sequencers and other analytical tools such as capillary electrophoresis, plate readers, HPLC, etc. You will also gain experience working with large manufacturing data sets, SPC charting, identifying correlations and opportunities for improvement, build troubleshooting skills and a quality mindset, and more. You will have the opportunity to collaborate and work together with various stakeholders and engineers. The Product Engineering team’s goal is toenable stable product performance from material inputs to sequencing outputs by driving end-to-end data accessibility, product surveillance, and investigation support. In this role, you will help improve the process of testing of product before it is shipped out the door.
This position is located at our San Diego headquarters and will be on-site!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work as part of a team to participate in process sustaining, definition and improvement, design, development and quality test activities in the making of consumable products or support of processes/equipment used to sequence genomes.
- Design and execute experiments, conduct data analysis, present outcomes, and make recommendations based on data. Define project plans and timelines.
- Work with development scientists and engineers to establish protocols and translate to standard operating procedures.
- Troubleshoot and document non-conformances during product testing and issues in the field.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Rising senior or new grad with a degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or similar.
- Experience with experimental design and statistical data analysis and visualization (such as JMP or R) is required; additional capabilities with image analysis and scripting are a plus.
- Experience with chemical process operations and related analytical techniques and metrology including spectrophotometry, HPLC, AFM, LCMS, etc. is preferred.
- Experience working with biochemical methods such as DNA hybridization or enzymatic modifications of oligonucleotides is preferred.
- Experience working in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement are preferred.
- Knowledge of genomics and next-generation sequencing is required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.