Staff Mechanical Design Engineer
Element Biosciences is working to democratize science by making powerful analytical instruments available to anyone who wants to ask the questions that haven’t been asked, and find the answers that lead to new understanding. Our first instrument is Aviti, a powerful, affordable DNA sequencer. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
If this sounds like the place for you, we are seeking a Staff Mechanical Design Engineer to work on the instrument R&D team. This Staff level role involves the architecture of new instruments, and the architecture and design of mechanical and electromechanical subsystems in the instrument. This position will require excellent design, engineering and data gathering skills to quickly develop and iterate key technologies and product concepts, and then hone them into robust, shippable solutions. The Staff Engineer will collaborate extensively with cross-functional teammates, as well as external vendors. The successful candidate will have strong first principals that they utilize to inform their design approach. They will be energized by a fast paced, interdisciplinary environment that quickly delivers impactful results.
- Participate in instrument architecture with a cross-functional team of engineers
- Architect and design mechanical and electromechanical systems within the instrument.
- Analytical modeling of designs using computer-based tools and hand calculations.
- Rapid prototyping, integration and testing of parts and systems.
- Interdisciplinary troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Creating specialized test fixtures and assembly jigs.
- Lead mechanical design reviews and technical presentations.
- Generate detailed part designs, drawings and work instructions.
- Work with supply chain and manufacturing on production transfer activities.
- BS degree in mechanical engineering with a minimum of 10 years of industry experience. MS degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
- Demonstrated track record with the design and architecture of mechanical (e.g., statics, mechanisms, motion) and electromechanical (e.g., motors, sensors, thermoelectric cooling) systems. Experience with controls systems a plus.
- Experience with computer based analytical tools like FEA and MATLAB
- Advanced expertise in Solidworks 3D CAD and EPDM.
- Extensive experience with detailed part design, including high precision machining, sheet metal design, and injection molding design. Knowledge of exact constraint and kinematic design a plus.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 including GD&T
- Experience managing cross functional development partners.
- Experience throughout entire product design lifecycle from concept generation through manufacturing release and ramp.
- Biotechnology experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to distill complex technical information into a clear message.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, interdisciplinary team environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities.
- A value of respect and support for your colleagues.