Sr Manufacturing Technician, Protein Production
Element Biosciences is passionate about our mission to develop high performing products with unprecedented flexibility to study genomics and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
The Manufacturing Technician is responsible for manufacturing and QC of protein consumables for Element Biosciences. This will include expression (E. coli fermentation) and/or purification of recombinant protein products; use and maintenance of fermenters and/or purification equipment; as well as supporting new product introduction and continuous improvement initiatives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Execute manufacture of Element reagent proteins:
- Perform multi-step expression and/or purification of recombinant proteins according to SOPs (standard operating procedures) and MBRs (Master Batch Records).
- Prepare buffer solutions according to SOPs and MBRs.
- Conduct internal QC (Quality Control) procedures for intermediates and finished products.
- Perform data collection and analysis, interpreting and responding to quality data
- Maintain and troubleshoot AKTA chromatography systems and/or Sartorius fermenters
- Use knowledge of manufacturing processes to identify efficiencies and troubleshoot issues
Support cross-functional teams/projects:
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with other scientists, engineers, and manufacturing personnel to suggest, evaluate, and implement initiatives involving scale-up, new product/ process introduction, continuous improvement, product development and product sustaining activities.
- Demonstrated, hands-on ability to follow established protocols/ SOPs/ MBRs in the production recombinant proteins
- Proficiency with AKTA chromatography (Pure, Pilot) and/or Sartorius bioreactors (5, 50L) highly desirable.
- Basic understanding of equipment upkeep, calibration, and maintenance
- Strong communicator and collaborator – experience in working closely with process development engineers
- Fast learner with high attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as on teams
- Start-up culture experience – comfortable in working with ambiguity and at a fast pace.
- Good computer skills and comfort in using computers for all aspects of manufacturing, including Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Teams.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant science (Biotechnology, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering) with 2-3 years of relevant hands-on experience
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered
- Proficiency with AKTA chromatography and/or Sartorius fermenters are highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to follow SOPs, MBRs, WIs
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.