Research Associate I, Biochemistry, Enzymes & Reagents
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
The Reagent Development group is seeking a Research Associate to assist with ongoing preparation of product for market and R&D of new sequencing biochemistry. In this position, candidates will carry out assays to assist in better understanding our reagents to improve the data quality and customer experience. Candidates are expected to be familiar with common laboratory techniques and be eager to learn under the direction of scientists. With mentoring, candidates will be able to develop and optimize methods and techniques for the testing and evaluation of cutting-edge sequencing reagents.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare, label and catalog reagents with high attention to detail
- Execute established assays
- Perform data analysis
- Present data and effectively communicate results to other scientists
- Assist in the development of new assays
- Operate laboratory equipment as needed (e.g. microscopes, sequencers, flow cytometers)
- Keep a detailed record of all laboratory activities in an organized fashion
- General biology and chemistry wet-lab techniques and best practices (e.g. pipetting, dilution, buffer formulation)
- Attention to detail with diligent record and note keeping
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic mathematical and statistical skills, general knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, or molecular biology
- Experience using complex laboratory equipment: UV-Vis, Centrifuge, PCR machine
- Ability to communicate results clearly to peers and management through conversation and presentations
- Ability to communicate effectively with members from different teams
- Effective problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Curiosity driven pursuit of independent research project
- Undergraduate research credit or experience is a plus
- Familiarity with NGS and its applications is a plus
- Advanced statistical analysis experience with statistical software tools (JMP, R, Matlab) is a plus
Education and Experience
- Minimum B.S. degree in biology, molecular or cell biology, biochemistry, biological physics, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or equivalent field of study. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered
- 0-2+ years of experience as an individual contributor in a research laboratory
- Experience with qPCR, Capillary Electrophoresis, DNA sequencers are a plusResearch experience in the study of biomolecules (e.g. proteins, DNA) is a plus
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.