Senior Staff Scientist, Fermentation
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products with unprecedented flexibility to study genomics and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designing, executing, and analyzing experiments to scale up from E. coli shake flask expression to fermentation in 250 mL, 5L, and 50L reactors to meet project goals for yield and quality.
- Technically lead external CRO and CMO activities to scale/ operate fermentation.
- Technically lead manufacturing group to install and implement developed fermentation processes.
- Work closely with research teams to transfer technology elements from R&D into scale up and manufacturing.
- Create and compile production documentation.
- Hands-on experience with operating and troubleshooting bioreactors up to 50L is a must.
- Hands-on experience with designing, executing, and analyzing experiments to scale up recombinant protein production from E. coli shake flask expression to fermentation in 250 mL, 5L, and 50L reactors.
- Experience with process development design using DOE (design of experiments) is desired, but not required.
- Experience analyzing cell paste quality (by SDS gel and small-scale purification on AKTA systems).
- Experience setting up manufacturing infrastructure (equipment) and documentation (WI, SOP, BOM and MBR) is highly desired.
- Ability to communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS/MS/PhD. in Chemical engineering, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Protein chemistry or a related discipline.
- At least 5 years' academic or industry experience developing, validating, and implementing recombinant protein production workflows