Systems Engineer I
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis, thereby accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We value Grit, Learning Agility, Customer obsession and Teamwork.
We are seeking an early in career Systems Engineer to join the Engineering Operations team in enabling and maintaining Element R&D’s internal instrumentation fleet. This is a key role in scaling the engineering team’s ability to meet the growing demand of hardware support of our internal chemistry and engineering teams. This candidate will be helping with troubleshooting and repair of next generation breadboards, test fixtures, and Element’s commercial instrumentation as well as develop analysis tools to improve our understanding of these systems. Strong engineering fundamentals, rigorous critical thinking skills and a methodical troubleshooting approach are essential attributes in this dynamic role.
- Assist team in providing front line instrumentation support for internal R&D teams
- Perform raw data analysis to determine instrumentation issues and performance trends
- Develop and refine instrument troubleshooting test scripts
- Assist with the integration and maintenance of Engineering breadboards
- Work closely with optical, mechanical, fluidic, electrical, and other engineering teams to provide design feedback
- Interface with commercial, R&D, and operations teams to provide system level subject matter expertise
- Assist with execution of experiments to test and characterize instrument performance
- Assist with complex, multi-disciplinary internal and external product performance investigations
- Author internal technical documents such as assembly instructions and troubleshooting procedures
- Minimum BS degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Bioengineering or similar field
- Hands-on experience with optics, mechanics, fluidics, electronics, software, metrology, or automation
- Experience with data analysis in MS excel, MATLAB, or similar analysis SW
- Able to effectively communicate issues and instrument statuses
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment and adjust to rapidly evolving technology
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities
- History of working in multidisciplinary field including biochemistry/chemistry/biology/optics/mechanics/electrical/software
- Experience with object-oriented languages (Python, R, MATLAB, etc.)
- Familiarity with SQL or other cloud based data structures
- Familiarity and experience with motion control systems and instrument automation