Senior Mechanical Engineer
Join a team of dreamers and revolutionaries who are focused on democratizing access to genetic analysis and accelerating the pace of scientific discovery. We are redefining an industry and the possibilities are endless.
If this sounds like the place for you, we are seeking a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer to work on the instrument development team. This position involves the architecture, design and analysis of mechanical and electromechanical components and systems for life science instruments. The successful candidate will use their strong first principals and analytical skills, coupled with fast prototyping and build/test/fix cycles, to quickly arrive at solutions that meet functionality, cost, reliability, and manufacturability targets. They will closely collaborate with peers and cross-functional teams, as well as external vendors. They will be energized by a fast paced, interdisciplinary environment that quickly delivers impactful results, and supported by leadership that respects and empowers them.
- Design of mechanical and electromechanical systems.
- Analysis of designs as required including tolerances, force, kinematic, stress, dynamic/modal, thermal, and fluidic analysis. Analysis can include hand calculations and computer-based simulations as required.
- Create detailed part designs and drawings, including the use of GD&T as needed
- Design specialized test fixtures and assembly jigs
- Rapid prototyping and testing of parts and systems
- Troubleshooting and root cause analysis of failures
- Collaborate/co-develop with other internal groups including EE, FW, SW, fluidics, optics, systems, chemistry, and consumables
- Collaborate/co-develop with external vendors
- Give presentations and hold design reviews
- Manage schedule, priorities, and risks
- Contribute to the development of product and process requirements
- Developing work instructions in conjunction with operations partners
- Contribute to overall system design and testing
- BOM control and ECO execution
- BS degree in mechanical engineering with a minimum of 4 years of experience. MS degree in mechanical engineering is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with the design and architecture of mechanical and electromechanical systems
- Detail part design including 3D CAD and 2D drawings. Experience in Solidworks strongly preferred.
- Experience throughout entire product design lifecycle from concept generation through manufacturing release and ramp
- Experience in biotechnology is a plus
Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong first principal understanding of statics, dynamics, fluidics, thermal, and stress analysis
- Detailed part design, machine part design including high precision machining, sheet metal design. Experience with injection molding and other part fabrication techniques a plus.
- Mechanism design (latches, over-center mechanisms, springs, translating and rotating motion, driven motion)
- Electromechanical design (DC and stepper motors, sensors, fans, thermoelectric cooling)
- Exact constraint/kinematic design
- Thermal management and air flow
- Solidworks CAD, ASME Y14.5 including GD&T
- Hand calculations, tolerance stacks, free body diagrams
- Computer based analytical tools like FEA and MATLAB
- Statistics and design of experiments, familiarity with JMP
- FMEA, DFX, and Six Sigma
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on small teams
- Willingness to learn about chemistry and life science design considerations
- Ability to work in fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment